Heidelberg History Part 2
During the 1960s, Heidelberg underwent some major changes. Offset printing became the focus of the company, over the platen models of earlier decades. That combined with the increasing number of international sales led to the company expanding. In Wiesloch in 1957, Heidelberg built an 860,000 square-meter (9,250,000 square-feet) printing machine factory.
To commemorate these key changes, in 1967, they took the name Schnellpressenfabrik out of the full company name of Schnellpressenfabrik AG Heidelberg, instead making the company name Hiedelberger Druckmaschinen AG. Following the expansion, the company started placing offices around the world, eventually reaching 170 countries.
By the 1990s, Heidelberg was unstoppable. In 1995, the company developed the Quickmaster DI, the first pure offset printer making it possible for printing plates to be directly imaged in the machine. It was a drastic change for the printing world in that decade.
Around the same time, Heidelberg presented a program offering solutions to the printing industry around the world. Heidelberg also began acquiring other companies with joint ventures and takeovers. These developments further moved Heidelberg away from just manufacture into the printing solutions arena.
Currently, the Wiesloch-Walldorf site employs approximately 6,500 workers in the largest printing press factory in the world. Over 400,000 printing units have been manufactured and over 1 billion euro have been invested into the massive production facility. Heidelberg remains a steady contender for any international printing press manufacture and printing solutions companies that would challenge their standing.